Thursday 18 November 2010

8-12th Nov: airports, Ireland and Immodium

I spent most of the week over in Galway and Dublin, which was really fun but would have been a whole lot better if I wasn’t petrified of soiling myself.

It was my first visit to Ireland as an adult and I was excited because it involved me flying there. Whenever I fly anywhere I can’t help but feel like I’m on holiday. Even if I was flying to a prisoner of war camp, I’d still be excited about it once I browsed electrical goods and was shown how to use a seatbelt; incidentally If you need to be shown how to use a seatbelt, you deserve to drown. The security at the airport has become ridiculously over the top. 10 years ago you could have walked straight onto the plane for a domestic flight with just a driving licence and a sack of dynamite on your back. At the security scanners I saw an old lady walking through in front and heard the 2 girls working there have this conversation:

“Getting that old is really sad”

“It happens to all of us eventually”

“Yes, but it just depresses me”

That was right in front of this wrinkly woman’s face. Right in it! Let’s hope she was so old she was deaf.

Ireland itself is an awesome place. I hardly had a chance to see Galway due to my flight and train times but I really want to go back as everyone is so friendly, even after they find out your English. I was in Dublin for 3 days and I was supposed to visit loads of things with my friend Shona, who I met in Bali. I, however, had proper gastric flu and so spent a lot of time trying not to follow through. Therefore I just walked within a few hundred metres radius of my hotel room and more importantly the toilet. I nearly cried when I had to eat Immodium then managed to rip one of my sneakers when putting it on, if I’d split my trousers I prob would have jumped out of my first floor window. Dublin has just as many nutters as London and a lot of homeless people: probably because it’s £6 for a pint. They probably think, ‘I can either afford rent or booze…and if I’m drunk the fact I’m on the street won’t bother me’.

Get yourselves to Dublin if you get a chance. It’s a beautiful city and even better if you’re minted and you’re bowels are working properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment